Friday, July 13, 2007

What is Beauty?


When I was in middle school I wanted to be beautiful. I wanted others to look at me and think she is fair to look at. Unfortunately I was an awkward, pudgy, five foot six twelve year old. People did look at me, but it wasn't because I was very pretty. I grew out of that though. Others caught up to or passed me in height. I became less awkward and I grew into my shape as a woman. I eventually found I had achieved my goal of being pretty.

I enjoyed it for a while, but then I found that with being pretty come other things than being admired. People can be jealous of you and hate you because they are jealous. The admiration that you do receive can inflate your ego, which can then be popped like an over filled balloon. You can attract people that you like and people that you don't like. There can always be a girl that is prettier that you. Last of all you don't always your beauty.

We as women have a job. We reflect just how beautiful God is. We don't often think of God as being beautiful, but the bible says that God is beautiful.

Psalm 27:4

4 One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek him in his temple.

Also God created you. He thinks you are gorgeous. He didn't make a mistake. He started you as a cute crying baby and He is slowly transforming you more and more into His image. And we just learned that God is beautiful.

Psalm 45:11

11 The king is enthralled by your beauty;
honor him, for he is your lord.

God is shaping us into He wants us to be. We don't have time to wast spending hours on makeup and millions on a face lift. Our job is to reflect His beauty, not to obsesses over our own. Our beauty will not last as long as our hearts will. God shows the beauty of everything in His time. Can we have the courage and the patience to wait on Him?

Proverbs 31:30

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.


No comments: