Friday, July 19, 2013

Colossians: Christ Our Motivation


Colossians 1:21-23

English Standard Version (ESV)
21 And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, 22 he has now reconciled in his body of flesh by his death, in order to present you holy and blameless andabove reproach before him, 23 if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister.

This I believe this to the thesis statement for the book of Colossians. Paul is writing to a people he does not seem to be familiar with, yet he knows that man who brought the gospel to these people. Paul is in prison at this time so he does not have an opportunity to evaluate this church for himself, yet he is encouraged by hearing about their faith. If I had to walk blindly into a church and impart one piece of advice, what would I say? Paul choose to say this: This is who Christ is, what he has done for us, and how fully he has saved us giving us the forgiveness of sins. In light of this, don't try to take away or add to his salvation. Don't shift from "the hope of the gospel." Then live your lives with constant rememberence of God's gift of the cross and Jesus who died for you.  

I recently had an experience that helped me appreciate how awesome the gift that Christ gives me. He is our advocate and paraclete before the Father. He choose me, even though I sin greatly against him, to love me and give me his perfect record of perfection. This is the awesome power and love that Christ has for us. I sinned against my previous boyfriend and his family. As soon as my sin was made known to me, I repented and I thought that would be the end of it; however, the sin lead my boyfriend to break off the relationship because his family did not approve of me. My old beau was not willing to advocate for me to his family. While this was/is painful, this has given me an acute understanding of what Christ does before the Father for Church. 

Ephesians 5:25-33

English Standard Version (ESV)
25 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26 that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.[a] 28 In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, 30 because we are members of his body. 31 “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. 33 However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

This is the kind of love that Christ gives me. This is the kind of love my heart longs for. Paul encourages the Colossians and me to live my life with this kind of love in mind. This command to husbands does not stand alone. It comes with a command to wives. 

Ephesians 5:22-24

English Standard Version (ESV)

Wives and Husbands

22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.

Father, I ask that I would submit to you as my head. May I live my life with the constant reminder of how fully and faithfully Christ advocates for me.  Help me understand the love and gifts you have given me. Help me to love you in return and submit to your perfect will. May I not shift from my hope in the gospel and my hope in you. Amen. 

No comments: