Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Looking Forward To The Second Coming


Psalm 96

English Standard Version (ESV)

Worship in the Splendor of Holiness

96 Oh sing to the Lord a new song;
    sing to the Lord, all the earth!
Sing to the Lord, bless his name;
    tell of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations,
    his marvelous works among all the peoples!
For great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised;
    he is to be feared above all gods.
For all the gods of the peoples are worthless idols,
    but the Lord made the heavens.
Splendor and majesty are before him;
    strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.
Ascribe to the Lord, O families of the peoples,
    ascribe to the Lord glory and strength!
Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name;
    bring an offering, and come into his courts!
Worship the Lord in the splendor of holiness;[a]
    tremble before him, all the earth!
10 Say among the nations, “The Lord reigns!
    Yes, the world is established; it shall never be moved;
    he will judge the peoples with equity.”
11 Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice;
    let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
12     let the field exult, and everything in it!
Then shall all the trees of the forest sing for joy
13     before the Lord, for he comes,
    for he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness,
    and the peoples in his faithfulness.



I was recently struck with a sobering realization. I in a conversation after I had recently had a loss in my life. I was still mourning the loss acutely. The man I was in conversation with said,"I long for the day Jesus returns." I realized I didn't. I didn't look forward to Jesus coming to judge the earth. Not only do I associate that day with pain and suffering, but there were/are still to many things on this earth that I want to experience: a husband, children, and different adventures. But what if God does not have those planned for my life. Would I be ok with that? This Psalm reminds me to praise God. He is praised when I ascribe or tell of His good that He has done. If my focus is this, will my heart longings hurt less?  I'm not sure. Here is what I do know. God will be with me no matter what happens. God has a good plan for me because I am His child. He will be faithful to me on the day of judgment and in my life today. I will serve the Lord and tell people of the good He has done for me.


Joshua 24:15

New International Version (NIV)
15 But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”

No comments: