Thursday, January 26, 2012

A man unafraid to change the world...Part II


Acts 3:12-26

English Standard Version (ESV)
12 And when Peter saw it he addressed the people: “Men of Israel, why do you wonder at this, or why do you stare at us, as though by our own power or piety we have made him walk? 13 The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, the God of our fathers, glorified his servant Jesus, whom you delivered over and denied in the presence of Pilate, when he had decided to release him. 14 But you denied the Holy and Righteous One, and asked for a murderer to be granted to you, 15 and you killed the Author of life, whom God raised from the dead. To this we are witnesses. 16 And his name—by faith in his name—has made this man strong whom you see and know, and the faith that is through Jesus has given the man this perfect health in the presence of you all.
 17 “And now, brothers, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did also your rulers. 18 But what God foretold by the mouth of all the prophets, that his Christ would suffer, he thus fulfilled. 19 Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out, 20 that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus, 21 whom heaven must receive until the time for restoring all the things about which God spoke by the mouth of his holy prophets long ago. 22 Moses said, ‘The Lord God will raise up for you a prophet like me from your brothers. You shall listen to him in whatever he tells you. 23 And it shall be that every soul who does not listen to that prophet shall be destroyed from the people.’ 24 And all the prophets who have spoken, from Samuel and those who came after him, also proclaimed these days. 25 You are the sons of the prophets and of the covenant that God made with your fathers, saying to Abraham, ‘And in your offspring shall all the families of the earth be blessed.’ 26 God, having raised up his servant, sent him to you first, to bless you by turning every one of you from your wickedness.”

"I know that you acted in ignorance"
The fact that we sin in ignorance does not excuse our sin. I think of Joseph consoling his brothers by telling them that what "they meant for evil, God meant for good." Yes, God does use our evil hearts to bring about His perfect and good plan; however, that is a testament of His sovereignty not a way to excuse our sin. I often will play the part of the naive girl. I use it as a barrier to protect myself in society; however, if I were to claim ignorance and use it as a crutch to sin, I would still be sinning. 
"Repent, therefore,"
I don't think there will ever be to much repentance in my life. Misusing my repentance for evil, yes, but true repentance to my Heavenly Father who I am separated from as a result of my sin, never. 
"that your sins may be blotted out"
Our sin can only be blotted out by the blood of Christ. If we had not crucified him, there would be no blood to atone for us. Our greatest sorrow, our greatest comfort and salvation. 
"the times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord"
Times of refreshing sounds so nice. But please take note this time where we can be refreshed will come from the presence of the Lord. Right now we have a degree of separation from God. Before Jesus, we had almost complete separation from God. Jesus came as God with us. The Holy Spirit is actively involved in our lives today. Yet we don't have complete and utter communion with God. Adam and Eve used to walk with God in the Garden. How refreshing and energizing it sounds to sit and converse with the God of the universe.
"in your offspring shall all the families of the earth be blessed"
God did not create me to bare children not within His plan. God has a good plan for the children in my family and the children that my sisters in Christ have. He has promised that we will be blessed and be a blessing. 
"to bless you by turning every one of you from your wickedness"
All to often I am over whelmed by my sin. Yet my God is here to bless me. The Holy Spirit stirs within my soul to turn me from my sin. My Father has a plan to make me more and more like Jesus. Oh, that my heart would turn away from my wickedness. Bless me Father. 

No comments: