Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The Last Word or Lack Of

Matthew 26:31-36a
31Then Jesus told them, "This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written:
" 'I will strike the shepherd,
and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.'[c] 32But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee."

33Peter replied, "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will."

34"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times."

35But Peter declared, "Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you." And all the other disciples said the same.

36Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane.


Why doesn't Jesus continue to argue with Peter? He know that Peter will betray Him, yet Jesus doesn't feel the need to win. He doesn't have to have the last word. When we argue, do we have to have the last word? Why is this? Are we trusting God will take are of the situation? Here Jesus gives us a good example of how to avoid fights. By not having to win. As humans this is a massive blow to our ego, yet to be like Jesus to love like Jesus we must not fight with others. "But they are wrong and if I only talk a little more they will see that I am right." Did Jesus have to convince Peter of his mistakes. No, Peter found out all in God's time.

Lord, may I not fight with my sisters today. May I not have to win with my words. Instead, may I lovingly encourage others toward You. In Jesus Name, Amen

No comments: