Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Forgotten Fruits of the Spirit

Galatians 5:22-23

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Kindness- Be kind and what? I have to be nice to these people. But they're so, so, so... human. They sin and do unkind things to me. You're telling me that I have to be nice to them. Come on.

I find that as I grow older and hopefully wiser that kindness is a choice. As I sit there and process what is being done or said to me that I can choose my reaction. I quickly go over in my head what a great reaction would be. This one is usually unkind and without grace or mercy. Then more slowly I go over what would be a nicer reaction. What the kind thing would be. What Jesus might do. I don't always get it right. Sometimes I choose what would be unkind and sometimes what is closer to kind still isn't the right thing. Yet there is always that choice. I hope and pray that God would work in me and that desire to react unkindly would fade. I pray that God would show me how in every situation I can do what His son would have done in my place.

No comments: