Thursday, August 09, 2007

Genesis 2:18-24

18 The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him."

19 Now the LORD God had formed out of the ground all the beasts of the field and all the birds of the air. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds of the air and all the beasts of the field.
But for Adam [h] no suitable helper was found. 21 So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs [i] and closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib [j] he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

23 The man said,
"This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called 'woman, [k] '
for she was taken out of man."

24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

What was Eve doing in the Garden before the fall? Which of the "good housewife" things was she most proficient at? Was it sewing? Um... they didn't wear clothes. She must have been an excellent cook, that's it. Wait... they just had to go to a tree and pick fruit and there was dinner. She must have kept a spotless house...garden...or maybe she didn't have to do much work in that department. What did Eve do before sin came into the picture?

Eve was Adams helper. Oh, great that makes what I'm suppose to do. That lays out what my life should be well...not.

Eve wasn't just a helper, she was a warrior helper. She was suppose to fight along side Adam, not just give him a nice place to come home to. If I ever marry there will be days when I won't want to clean, when I can't cook dinner, and I already can't sew very well. My point is I will fail to be the perfect house wife. I will also fail in a fight, but the Lord has made me, designed me for this so this is what I will be most suited to do. I hope that someday my husband and children will look at me and call me blessed. Not for cooking or cleaning, but for being a strong warrior that has ministered with my husband and family.

3 comments:

reformergirl said...

I appreciate your intent, but I'm curious of two things: a) what did Eve or Adam have to fight before the fall? and b) where do you find that Eve is his warrior helper? I am always trying to learn more about the concept of Biblical womanhood, so would love to know more about this.

Thanks,
Rebecca

Unknown said...

Have you read or are you reading When Life and Beliefs Collide by Carolyn Custis James? She presents a very well thought out view of Biblical womanhood and the reminder that we are all called to be theologians, women included.

She breaks down the Hebrew word used for helper and makes the case for the warrior helper translation based on other passages (post-fall) that use the same language.

pruittcommunications said...

Here is my philosophy, life is suppose to be like it was before the fall:

1. Work for the mind, naming the animals
2. Work for the hand, care for the garden
3. Enjoy creation
4. Enjoy your spouse
5. Walk with God

I'm not sure where the warrior part comes in.