Sunday, February 06, 2011

Acts 20:7-12 (English Standard Version)
Eutychus Raised from the Dead 7On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech until midnight. 8There were many lamps in the upper room where we were gathered. 9And a young man named Eutychus, sitting at the window, sank into a deep sleep as Paul talked still longer. And being overcome by sleep, he fell down from the third story and was taken up dead. 10But Paul went down and bent over him, and taking him in his arms, said, "Do not be alarmed, for his life is in him." 11And when Paul had gone up and had broken bread and eaten, he conversed with them a long while, until daybreak, and so departed. 12And they took the youth away alive, and were not a little comforted.



Within this passage we have an echo of the miracles that Jesus performed while he walked the earth. Here is Paul raising a young man from the dead. Sometimes I feel like this young man. I work night shift, so there are nights, days, weeks where I feel like the walking dead. (On a side note I am trying to decide whether or not to take a day position that has been offered to me, so pray for me.) There has been recent discussion in church concerning the subject of current day miracles. Does God still work through His people and perform the supernatural? Or did this end with Jesus and the Apostles? Does the Holy Spirit still work in us today like He did Paul and Peter? Does God still choose to use us in this way; to perform miracles and signs and wonders in His name? I don't know the answer. I would like to think so. I still believe that God can do the impossible today. Is this the most theologically sound doctrine that I have. Not in the lest. But the same God who revealed Himself to Troas here through Paul is still my Lord and Savior today. Will God use me like He did Paul? I don't know. All I can do wait on the Lord and believe in Him.

Holy Father, as I wait on You, I ask that You would prepare my heart for the work that You would have me do. Give me the strength and courage to carry our Your will. May I trust You in You day by day, moment by moment. Please ease my heart and take away my anxiety. May I have peace with You in my heart and in my mind every moment. Give me grace and love to give to others. Give me compassion for You people. Show me how to best love and serve them. Father, I need You to guide my decisions right now as I have many tough choices to make right now concerning work, love, and how to carry out Your name. Give me the words to lift people up to You and point them to You. Keeping me from sinning Holy Spirit, so that I might do no harm to others. In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments: