Friday, February 04, 2011

Acts 16:13-15 (English Standard Version)

13And on the Sabbath day we went outside the gate to the riverside, where we supposed there was a place of prayer, and we sat down and spoke to the women who had come together. 14One who heard us was a woman named Lydia, from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple goods, who was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to pay attention to what was said by Paul. 15And after she was baptized, and her household as well, she urged us, saying, "If you have judged me to be faithful to the Lord, come to my house and stay." And she prevailed upon us.

Acts 16:40 (English Standard Version)

40So they went out of the prison and visited Lydia. And when they had seen the brothers, they encouraged them and departed.



Lydia might have been to Paul what Mary and Martha were to Jesus. A place of hospitality and rest. A place where people were faithful to the Lord and Paul could enjoy what God had done in the hearts that Paul had ministered to. The gentile version of Mary and Martha. Our hearts need encouragement. Our hearts need spiritual rest. Our bodies need physical rest. Here is one of the few places we see Paul getting that. It is the only woman who was able to provide it to him mentioned in scriptures. As the Lord moved her heart, I pray that He would move mine.

Father, please open up my heart to Your word. Give me people in my life who preach Your truth. May my heart and mind be open to it. Give me strength as I seek to do Your will. May my heart not be won over by other emotions and thoughts. Father, I am seeking and asking for Your truth in my heart. May my actions and words be to lift You up before everyone in my life as a good and powerful. In Your Sons name, Amen.

No comments: