Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Quotes

I have for a long time wanted to do a post of different quotes. Now that I am finally getting around to it, I have forgotten most of the quotes I wanted to use. Yet here are some great quotes that have spoken to me recently. 

I would like to buy about three dollars worth of gospel, please. Not too much – just enough to make me happy, but not so much that I get addicted. I don't want so much gospel that I learn to really hate covetousness and lust. I certainly don't want so much that I start to love my enemies, cherish self-denial, and contemplate missionary service in some alien culture. I want ecstasy, not repentance; I want transcendence, not transformation. I would like to be cherished by some nice, forgiving, broad-minded people, but I myself don't want to love those from different races – especially if they smell. I would like enough gospel to make my family secure and my children well behaved, but not so much that I find my ambitions redirected or my giving too greatly enlarged. I would like about three dollars worth of gospel, please. ~D. A. Carson

For eons human beings have tried to find less destructive ways to live together. ~Margaret Wheatly

“To be loved but not known is comforting but superficial. To be known and not loved is our greatest fear. But to be fully known and truly loved is, well, a lot like being loved by God. It is what we need more than anything. It liberates us from pretense, humbles us out of our self-righteousness, and fortifies us for any difficulty life can throw at us.” 
~Timothy Keller

“A vast horde of souls were rumbling toward heaven.  There were whole companies of white-trash, clean for the first time in their lives, and bands of black niggers in white robes, and battalions of freaks and lunatics shouting and clapping and leaping like frogs. And bringing up the end of the procession was a tribe of people whom she recognized at once as those who, like herself and Claud, had always had a little of everything and the God-given wit to use it right.  She leaned forward to observe them closer.  They were marching behind the others with great dignity, accountable as they always had been for good order and common sense and respectable behavior.  They alone were on key.  Yet she could see by their shocked and altered faces that even their virtues were being burned away.” ~Flannery O'Connor

Forgiveness says you are free from your penalty. You may go. Justification says you free from your sin.... You may come. ~Timothy Keller

"The benefits of the new birth- the pardon of our sins and our relationship with Christ- do not remove us from the battle. Instead, they guarantee our victory!" ~Dave Harvey

"till sin be bitter, Christ will not be sweet." ~Thomas Watson



No comments: