Wednesday, November 03, 2010


Psalm 23 (English Standard Version)
A Psalm of David.
1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
3He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name’s sake.

4Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

This is the second most popular passage in a Bible Gateway article I read last week. This was one of the first Psalms I learned as a child. My favorite Sunday school teacher had us memorize this Psalm and then as a reward he would give us a book of his stories.

This was a psalm of David. David was very familiar with the role of a Shepard. He had grown up as a Shepard. He new what it meant to call God a Shepard and to compare himself to a sheep.
Even though we are silly, stubborn, and can't see past our own desires. Our God still provides for us. He gives us good things despite the fact we don't deserve them.
David also knew what it was like to be near death. His own father-in-law had tried to kill him multiple times. He had fought in many battles. David was no stranger to death. So he could say with confidence that he could,"Fear no evil."
I find this Psalm comforting because, "He leads me in paths of righteousness." I cannot be holy on my own. I cannot live a righteous, let alone a good life. So I trust that God will lead me.
God's "rod and staff" do bring me comfort. I want to know that God will correct my sins, my mistakes. I will fear no evil, because He will save me from doing the wrong I fear so much. He will also save me from the wrongs that others do.
We have a great and powerful God who protects and loves us. He gives us many great gifts that we take for grant.

Dear Heavenly Father, may you lead me in a path of righteousness. May my life show that you have control of your sheep. May I follow you step by step today. May I have to fear no evil, because you are with me. May Your goodness and mercy be shown in every part of my life. Amen.

No comments: