Monday, January 31, 2011

Acts 15:36-41 (English Standard Version)

Paul and Barnabas Separate
36And after some days Paul said to Barnabas, "Let us return and visit the brothers in every city where we proclaimed the word of the Lord, and see how they are."37Now Barnabas wanted to take with them John called Mark. 38But Paul thought best not to take with them one who had withdrawn from them in Pamphylia and had not gone with them to the work. 39And there arose a sharp disagreement, so that they separated from each other. Barnabas took Mark with him and sailed away to Cyprus, 40but Paul chose Silas and departed, having been commended by the brothers to the grace of the Lord. 41And he went through Syria and Cilicia,strengthening the churches.


Is it wrong that I find comfort in the fact that the Apostle Paul fought with his fellow Christians. Here are two men called to do the same work, but they disagree on who to take with them. I have heard about many people who were called to the mission field and when they get there it's not the people who they are preaching to that they argue with. It's with their fellow missionaries that there is discourse. I find right now in my life that the worst fights are not with people who I try and minister to. It is within the church that I have the most complaints and an augmentative spirit. It is within my own family that I have the least amount of grace.

Father, as I seek to do Your will, may You give me a heart that has grace with everyone in my life. May my heart always be atune to how I should treat people. May I speak words that You would say. May my actions be things that You would do. I know that You can use even the bad things of this world to further Your kingdom. May You use my sin and mistakes to make Your name known. Spirit, give me Your spirit of kindness, gentleness, and self-control; yet give me a spirit that will fight for You and honors You. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments: