Friday, January 27, 2006


My friend Erica wrote this on her blog:

Some years ago, a survey asked thousands of Americans what they would most like to hear said to them. the top three responses were listed. I guessed the top one, but I was flabbergasted at numbers two and three.

Number one was fairly predictable, "I love you."

Number two was "I forgive you."

Number three was the shocker. I laughed to discover that the third most popular phrase of America was "Supper's ready."

Then it dawned on me. That's the whole gospel! Jesus stands behind the communion table with his nail-scarred hands outstretched and the light of sacrificial mercy in his eyes. His voice, his words meet us with healing warmth as we drag our waterlogged burdens up the rocky shoreline of life's most chilling seas.

"I love you," he whispers. "I forgive you. Come and dine."

- Streams of Mercy by Mark Rutland

No comments: