Monday, January 24, 2011

Acts 13:44-52 (English Standard Version)
44The next Sabbath almost the whole city gathered to hear the word of the Lord. 45 But when the Jews saw the crowds, they were filled with jealousy and began to contradict what was spoken by Paul, reviling him. 46And Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly, saying, "It was necessary that the word of God be spoken first to you. Since you thrust it aside and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles. 47 For so the Lord has commanded us, saying, "'I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.'"
48And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed. 49And the word of the Lord was spreading throughout the whole region. 50 But the Jews incited the devout women of high standing and the leading men of the city, stirred up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and drove them out of their district. 51But they shook off the dust from their feet against them and went to Iconium. 52And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.


This passage speaks to me on two levels. I know that I have a hard heart towards the gospel. I also know that I can use my tongue to tear down others very easily. I often find myself behaving like these Jews did. I don't want to hear the gospel that is preached to me. These men used "women of high standing" to destroy Paul's ministry. I have used my complaining and my tongue to tear down others ministry. I rejected God's word in light of my own gospel. This passage gives me great fear because it shows me what I am. This passage also gives me great hope. Despite my behaving like these Jews, God can still use this situation. I hope that I to can show God's light to the Gentiles. I hope that God can use this sinner to create order out of chaos and bring healing to people's bodies and souls through the gospel.

Father, please pour Your gospel into me. May Your truths fill my life. May I not be a person who rejects Your words. May I not be a person who tears down those whom You have sent to preach the gospel. Guide my tongue as I speak this week. May I be honest and truthful. May I always have Your words on my tongue and may I always be preaching Your gospel.

No comments: