Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Parenting

My dear readers. This will not be a popular blog I'm sorry to say; however, that has not ever stopped me in the past so here it goes.

Proverbs 22:6
6 Train [a] a child in the way he should go,
and when he is old he will not turn from it.

Ephesians 6:4
4Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.

All to often children in our society are not being raised by their parents. I'm not talking about nanny or babysitters or even foster care. The children are raising the parents. This isn't right. As a child a baby is continually trying to find out it's limitations. What am I aloud to do? What will mommy say no to and what will she say yes to? The baby is looking for borders in his or hers world. If the parents do not provide limitations to that baby it grows up not knowing the security of a structured household. This will lead to problems later on in the child's life.

Structure is providing a schedule for the child, such as meal times, bedtimes, and activity on a regular bases that the child can adapt to. It is providing discipline. Showing the child what is right and wrong. It is also providing love, hugs and kisses all around. Structure is instilling good principles in your child.

In my first aid class we learned about obesity. The main problem these over weight kids had was lack of structure. If a child does not have structure he starts to have behavioral issues. We have all seen some two year old throw a fit in the store if he doesn't get candy. At two years old he is still finding his boundaries and so it is reasonable to throw a fit at his age. Yet when a child of ten or dare I say fifteen throw a fit, You can see that lack of structure they had growing up.

I know a lot of mothers don't want to discipline their children because they don't want their children to hate them. I can understand that, but if they love their children enough that they are willing to discipline their children when they are young then their children will grow to be good and much happier children then if the parents didn't discipline them.

Raising children is one of the challenges that I'm looking forward to. I hope that all my children will love the Lord with all their heart, soul, and strength.

No comments: