Tuesday, November 22, 2005

God works in mysterious ways. One of my friends from college told me the story of how she got engaged and it touched my heart. She has truly been blessed with a husband who loves the Lord and her. Here is her story:

There was nothing particularly stunning about that Tuesday morning on June 21st, 2005. I awoke to the usual sounds of the neighborhood and the light of a familiar sun. My alarm clock (thankfully silent) proclaimed the digital hour and my carpeted floor quietly begged for the services of a vacuum cleaner. However, one small thought in the back of mind pierced through the mundaneness of it all: "Miss Ladny, you will probably get engaged today". I was not surprised by this musing, for Jason had given me several clues to substantiate my suspicions.
About a month before I had even moved to GA (to an apartment significantly closer to him than my residence in MD), Jason had sent me a letter raving about his excitement over a certain crabbing trip we were to take in June. I would have thought he'd be more excited that we'd be separated by only three hours of driving as opposed to the previous nine.But for some reason, he seemed unusually focused on this vacation. In addition to this letter, Jason had alluded several times to the significance of the number seven, even going so far as to elaborate on the importance of a Seven-month anniversary as opposed to a six-month one. And wouldn't you know? Our crabbing trip would include our seventh anniversary. Finally, he repeatedly mentioned his desire to frequent one of our special spots on Greenberry point. And I knew that we would be visiting that romantic little penninsula after dinner that night. When I called Jason that morning to find he was out "running errands", my hypothesis was confirmed.
Jason and I had talked about marriage from day one of our courtship. We'd discussed schooling, our goals for the first few years, and had even picked a date. He had spoken to my parents, we had our friends' approval, and heck, I already had my wedding dress. I knew the formal proposal was soon coming. And we both knew what my reply would be. Yet for some reason, I was still a bit nervous at dinner. Jason had taken me to a very nice seafood restaurant in Eastport. The food was delicious and the view was beautiful. But I was more so taken aback by a peculiar habit of our waitress. Every so often during our meal, she would present me a yellow red-tipped rose- my favorite flower. I was even more surprised when Clif Stagnero greeted us near the end of our meal. I had no idea he was working at the restaurant.
Afterward, we changed into casual clothing more condusive to walking around the Peninsula. When we arrived, I assumed that we would head straight for "our special bench", he'd romantically pop the question, and that would be it. But no. Thankfully, Jason is delightfully much more creative than that. After picking up a Bible and some bug spray (He's so thoughtful!) we went to a low tree and climbed it. We prayed. I would have been happy to spend my evening in the slowly swaying branches, but we had places to go. Our second stop was atop a wooden fence bordering the rocks and crashing waves of the Chesapeake.There Jason and I read passages concerning the very applicable topic of joy. After jogging to our third stop, we rested on a bench and Jason asked if I were thirsty. After answering in the negative, Jason replied with "Well, I am," and reached under the bench to procure a bottle of sparkling grape juice. There was also some gouda and we had a short "wine and cheese" tasting party. I was highly gratified and amused.
On our fourth stop, Jason asked me to shut my eyes. And when I opened them, he had a basket of 77 yellow red-tipped roses. On each one was tied a small note describing something about me that brings him joy. He read each one to me aloud. I was humbled by Jason's attention to detail and also by an encouraging epiphany; if Jason, a mere man, takes so much delight in me, how much more does God- He who knows every hair on my head? After Jason mentioned that this had been our fourth stop, I started counting...(I've always been slower to recognize any mathematical pattern). Our fifth stop was at a different bench overlooking the city of Annapolis. Jason informed me that just being close to him brings him joy. So we held each other for a little while.
The sixth stop was particularly touching. We climbed down a rocky embankment to the water and Jason asked me to sit down. Then, after declaring that he wanted to serve me, he asked if he might wash me feet. And he did, using a bowel, soap, and towel he had hidden there for that purpose.
Finally, we treked to stop number seven. Our bench. I knew it was coming. And I was rather taciturn. Was this really happening after so many years of dreaming and praying and hoping? I sat down at our bench and Jason retrieved a small, ornately carved box he'd gotten in India. he knelt before me and opened it after I'd had a bit of trouble trying to.Inside was a key (that he asked me to hold onto for a while), an "eternal flower" (which was to represent his love for me), and a small wooden box with an angel carved onto it. Jason said that he'd gotten the box in Chattanooga and it was to remind us that God would always be with us. And inside was ring. Then he asked me the question I've waited my life to answer; "Katherine Ann Ladny, I love you. Would you make my joy complete? Will you marry me?" I smiled and answered a quiet, "Yes, Jason Andrew Mitchell". He put the ring on my finger and (after asking...such a gentleman) kissed my hand.
Then he asked me a question I wasn't expecting at all. "You wanna go on an adventure?" Hey, why not? He led me by the hand to the shore and I found the lock that my key went to- it was attached to a two person kyack (sp?). We donned our life jackets and rowed across that part of the bay to the light of a full copper moon. When we moored at the docks in Annapolis, we dried off and Jason led me to the pier. Now, unbeknownst to Jason, I had years ago asked God that the man I'd marry would ask me to dance with him on the pier. And Jason was carrying a small basket with tea lights and an old book. The title? "Modern Ballroom Dancing". He opened the book (after attempting to light the candles...the wind wasn't quite cooperating) and on the inside cover it read, "Kate, I love you. Shall we dance?" I actually had thought that I might have had to teach him! But Jason had taken lessons behind my back and was well prepared for this night. As I stood gazing into his eyes, I was suddenly surprised by the sound of a live violin behind me. I couldn't believe it! Jason had successfully won my hand. But it had been months since he'd won my heart. And we danced...
At the end, we embraced to the applause of all the strangers at the pier. We called his parents to ask for a lift back to the peninsula. We were tired, wet, and elated. And thus we were engaged on anything but an ordinary Tuesday, June 21st, 2005.

No comments: